Skutt Micro Scarab
Developed to meet the specific needs of the Boro flameworker
List Price: $1850 Our Low Price: $1525
The Micro Scarab is perfect for flameworkers who are starting out or are just working with smaller projects. It runs on common household 120V service so you can plug it in just about anywhere. If affordability and portability are important to you, this could be your perfect Scarab model.
Many of these features are shared with the Micro Scarab
such as the GlassMaster 33 controller
- The software for the COE Controller was developed with input from Flameworker Marcel Braun to fit the specific needs of the Boro Flameworker.
- It can be easy as pressing Go to start working and Go twice to anneal your piece and call it a night.
- The Controller is programmed to heat to 1100° F but you can set it for whatever temperature you want.
- You can choose between the 3 preset Annealing programs or creat your own.
- Marcel knows how important it is to know how long your piece is at the set point temperature. That is why he programmed a feature in the controller that tells you exactly that amount of time. If you dip below that temperature it waits until it is back to set point and restarts the clock.
- It also includes built in striking and repair programs.
Primary Point Rest
The Primary Point rest is designed to slide up and down to support your rods and tubes. If your handles are extremely long we would suggest adding the Optional Secondary Point Rest which extends further out from the kiln and is fully adjustable up and down.
When you are ready to anneal you slide the point rest up tight against the doggie door to seal off the chamber.
The point rest is constructed of solid brick and stainless steel for maximum life. To operate them simply loosen the the knob, slide the rest to the position desired and tighten the knob. It was specifically designed to be a one hand operation so you can hold your glass with the other hand.
Let’s face it, these kilns are heavy!. The last thing you want to do is to start wrestling around with them to get at a component that needs to be replaced. All Scarab kilns are designed with a Removable Chassis which holds all the main electrical and electronic components. Just remove the screws that hold it in place and slide it out. You can even disconnect the power cord and ship the whole thing back to Skutt for testing if necessary.
One of the most problematic components of kilns has traditionally been the relays. Mechanical relays have a limited life which is why Skutt has upgraded all Scarab Kilns with Solid State Relays. These relays or kept cool with a fan mounted in the side of the kiln (not necessary on the Mini Scarab because the Amps are so low).
Optional Secondary Point Rest
The Optional Secondary Point Rests, another unique design of Marcel Braun, are generally ordered on just about every Scarab that goes out. Flameworkers love its ability to hold long handles, preventing their work from popping up off the floor. Its well thought out design allows you to move the rest to almost any position you want. It not only moves in and out but also moves up and down. The scalloped edge ensures that your rods will stay in place.Comes with kiln free of charge
- Designed by renowned artist Marcel Braun
- GlassMaster 33 controller - up to 4 custom programs with up to 8 segments per program
- Controller made specifically for annealing borosilicate glass
- Removable electronics chassis
- Solid state relays
- Low Mass Type K Thermocouple
- Simple to use point rest
- Secondary point rest
- Household voltage
- See table at bottom of page for technical specifications
|Kiln Type||Front Loading Square|
|Understanding Chamber Measurements|
0.5 cu ft
28W X 28L X 41H inches
712W X 712L X 1042H mm
|Breaker Size||20 AMP|
|Circuit Copper Wire Size||12|
|Hertz (Thermocouple)||60 Mhz|
|Disclaimer: The specifications above assume that the kiln will be plugged into a dedicated circuit. Local electric codes supersede our recommendations. Consult your local electrician for your specific installation. The pricing and electrical specifications for the above products reflect their design for use in the United States. If you are ordering from Outside of the United States you need to verify your individual requirements such as voltage, safety requirements, etc. Just give us a call and we'll help you work it all out.|
|This Kiln Ships Via Freight|