Intermediate / Continuing
This class has been
The instructor, Shirley Green and her student. Lots of one on one instruction.
Goal of this workshop
In this workshop, you will learn how to turn glass rods into beautiful beads
Our Instructors, Shirley Green and Shannon Kindle.
Some things we do in this workshop Perfect the techniques you have already learned in a previous workshop plus learn many new techniques such as
Hearts and other
Special shapes, more on
flowers and encasing,
custom color mixing,
using gold and silver in beads, using
reduction frit, both rod and frit
airbrushing to make iridized beads,
making clear encased latticinos, canes.
Gold and silver leaf and foil
Gold and silver fume glass!
We are always asked "what is the best torch"? Well come try them out in class.
The surface mix torches you can try out are:
- Minor Burner - what is at every students work station
- Mega Minor by Nortel
- Midrange Burner by Nortel
- Red Max by Nortel
- Lynx by Glass Torch Technology
- Cheetah by Glass Torch Technology
- 8M with a variety of tips by National
- Betta by Bethlehem
Our classroom and equipment
Our classroom and workshop area has perhaps the latest and most complete setup available anywhere. Each student has a well lit comfortable work area with plenty of room for working. We have natural and artificial lighting. Each student has their own Minor Bench Burner, annealing kiln and all of the latest tools. Most important in a workshop like this, is ventilation. With so many torches going at the same time, the quality of the air quickly becomes heavy: Inducing headaches, difficult breathing and fatigue. Even one torch could cause this. Our area at Sundance has excellent ventilation keeping the air fresh.
A note about temperature. Our Studio has great A/C and heating. Bring comfortable clothing.
A note from Brian, the owner of Sundance:
I remember taking a Glass Beadmaking Workshop many years ago in a well known teaching studio in the San Francisco Bay Area from the biggest name lampworker. It was terrible. It was dirty, cramped, and they stuck me at the end of a table on a rickety short stool with no elbow room. It was so cramped that the instructor couldn't reach me except for once during the entire 2 day workshop! The class started an hour and a half late because they didn't have the torch equipment set up ahead of time. Not only that, but I was taking the workshop with some pretty now famous people, a click group. So much for any attention for me. So much for my $900 fee! But I did have the best lighting, only because I was the closest to the grimy window. I've been told it hasn't changed. Actually I was glad for that experience. I was determined not to expose my students to that type of atmosphere in my teaching studio! Our classroom and workshop area has the latest and most complete setup available. We have natural lighting and a vents to keep the air fresh. Each student learns on the oxygen/propane Minor Bench Burner Torch with annealing kilns and all of the latest tools. In fact we have a variety of different torches you can try out. All equipment and tools are included. You will be guaranteed a well lit, ventilated workspace with plenty of elbow room and at half the price! And EVERYBODY gets and plenty of attention and the best instruction!Most of our students are from out of town. There are nice affordable accommodations close by.
- Basic Equipment (you can bring any of your own favorite tools if you like)
- Torch & Annealing Kilns (OK to bring your own torch)
- All Basic bead making tools
What you provide:
- Artistic Talent
- Materials - you will have the opportunity to purchase in class
- Bring pre dipped ready to go mandrels. 1 dozen - maybe 2 or 3 dozen to be safe. We will be mailing your beads back to you still attached to your mandrels.
- You are welcome to bring your tools and torch. All must be marked and labeled as your tools.
- Any other of your specialized tools - you will have the opportunity to purchase in class
What to wear and bring:
- Cotton clothes that cover from the neck to the foot
- No open toed shoes (sandals)
- No loose clothing (we have a previous students baggy sweater with a big burn hole as a reminder)
- No loose hair, tie it back or wear a hat
- We allow time to leave for lunch break. Bringing your lunch allows you to be able to work during lunch break.
- sign up with a second person and take 15% off both
- Sundance - The Studio is at 1010 Bille Road, Paradise , CA 95969
- Studio Phone (NA) (Main Store 530-872-3021)
Reserving your space: We have many people who ask us to put their names down but your spot is reserved only when your tuition is paid. The only way to reserve a date is by paying the tuition.
To Be Scheduled
- Paradise, CA Location: from 9 AM to 4 PM - please arrive no later than 9 AM
Deposit, Refund and Cancellation Policy:
Click Here to see our deposit, refund and cancellation policy.