Ceramic Drop Out Slumping Molds
(click pictures to enlarge)
Ceramic Drop Out Ring
Item # 486236
The inside of this mold has a nice rounded edge for a smoother drop through
and finished look. Place directly on kiln shelf to make a great looking plate, or raise
above the shelf with kiln posts to make a dish or a vase! This mold measures
approximately 6" in diameter outside and 2½" in diameter inside.
1. Check sizes - Be sure double check the actual size of your mold before you
cut the glass you are slumping, as all molds are slightly variable in size.
2. Prefiring - Prefiring is recommended, especially for molds larger than 30
centimeters. Fire the kiln at 90° Fahrenheit up to 1470°
Fahrenheit with no holding time. Cool down the mold in the kiln.
3. Kiln wash - Brush or spray the kiln wash on the mold and let it dry for approximately
20 minutes in the kiln at 400° Fahrenheit. Make sure the vent holes in the mold
are open. Replace the kiln wash every 3rd or 4th firing, or when necessary.
4. When you slump your glass, place your mold on kiln posts. The distance between the
mold and the heating elements should be no less than 2-3 centimeters.
5. Ceramic molds, like glass, are susceptible to thermal shock and should not be heated
or cooled too rapidly. Special attention is advised when using sidefiring kilns.